Crown Point Wills and Trusts Attorney
Whether you have made the decision to plan ahead for your family’s future, or have recently lost a loved one, guidance from an experienced and knowledgeable attorney is necessary. At our firm, I take pride in the honest, caring and committed legal advice that we provide for every client.
Choose Adam D. Decker, Attorney at Law, P.C. for your estae planning needs. We are located in Crown Point, Indiana, and serve the entire northwest Indiana region in wills, trusts, estate and probate matters. Achieving your estate planning goals brings comfort and peace of mind, and we work diligently to meet that objective.
Estate Planning 101
Whether you are a young adult who has just had your first child, or an older adult with significant accumulated assets, the importance of having an estate plan, including a will, trust and advance directives, is crucial. Having a will or trust has many advantages, including establishment of your particular preferences as to how you want your assets to be distributed after your death. Some of the other benefits of having an estate plan include:
- Establishing guardianship for minor children or disabled adult children
- Ensuring that your loved ones will have access to your property with minimal delay
- Nominating a person to serve as Power of Attorney and possess authority to take certain actions on your behalf during your lifetime
If you do not have a will or trust that expresses your intentions concerning the disposition of your assets, then such disposition may ultimately rest with the court. The court may or may not make a decision that accurately reflects your wishes, so it is important to speak with a lawyer about your objectives. Speaking to a lawyer will ensure that your estate planning objectives are met. Adam D. Decker, Attorney at Law, P.C. will provide the necessary guidance and advice to allow you plan for the best interests of you, your family and loved ones.
An Experienced Lake County Probate Lawyer
When persons contact our firm regarding probate matters after someone has died, we take a very matter-of-fact approach because we understand the need to provide answers to questions in these situations. We will help you gather all the appropriate documents, and advise you on handling aspects such as property transfers, probate of the will, collecting and distributing assets, and inheritance taxes.
When a loved one dies, many people are uncertain about what needs to be done, both from a practical and legal standpoint. Some basic things to consider are:
1. Contact family members and friends to notify them and so that they can be at your side.
2. Enlist the support of others to make additional phone calls so that you do not have to contact everyone yourself.
3. Contact the funeral director of your choosing and make the final arrangements.
4. Gather all important papers, including the loved one’s will, trust instruments, life insurance policies, and financial documents.
5. Meet with your attorney to review the will and other important legal documents.
6. Contact your loved one’s employer and inquire about death benefits.
7. Notify your life insurance company of the death.
8. Request an advance on the insurance proceeds, if necessary.
9. Contact the Social Security Administration and inquire about possible benefits.
10. If your loved one was a veteran, contact the Veteran’s Administration about possible benefits.
11. Meet with your attorney to reassess your estate plan and draft a new will.
We will help you through this trying time by providing compassionate guidance and individualized legal services to meet your needs.